Friday, September 24, 2010

Insensitive? I let u decide :)


===============

It was in the Holy month of Ramadhan when I was in my car driving to work. The traffic was surprisingly heavy as usual, just as I thought it should be clearer as many started to take their raya leave. Even radio DJ like Nadia of Fly FM was already on leave at that time.

Me? I never have a hometown. My grandparents' place is here. Thus, I never got to experience the rush, the feel of 'balik kampung'.

It was just another fine morning when i turned the usual radio station that I listen to everyday. That day, the topic was on fasting. The DJ, was trying to fast or a full day. I have nothing against the idea of getting to know what is fasting all about and how does it feels to fast like a Muslim in the month of Ramadhan.

Towards building an Alliance of Civilization, it is important to understand cultural differences in order to accept one another. Parallel to our 1Malaysia concept, it is about acceptance.

So where did this good intention does not sound as good anymore?


1. As it is, fasting is a religious practice, not a racial based practice. Thus, if he really wanted to try it out, he should have gotten someone to really guide him not just on not eating and drinking, but the whole concept of fasting itself.

2. He did ask listeners to call in and helped him with the DOs and DONTs of fasting. Personally, some of his reactions and comments about it made him sound like ridiculing the practice.

3. That also include countless amount of grumbles and counting down of hours etc etc. Dear MrDJ, fasting is compulsory for us, unless exceptional cases. Are you trying to send the message on how torturous it is to fast? To begin with, NO ONE asked you to fast anyway.

4. Last but not least, during the rush hour, the dj at that time contacted our MR-fasting-dj to checkout on him. Minus all the non sense at the opening sentences..these words poked my ear the most….


“ MY BREATH SMELLS…bla bla bla. IT IS LIKE SMELLING A BAD GAS INTO MY MOUTH! “

Honestly, my ears could not bear it anymore. Yes Mr DJ, some people do have that breath especially when fasting. I would rather appreciate such comments did not surface on air at all either. Since it was just a few days before raya, many missed that part of the conversation..but for those who heard it, none claimed it was good to listen to either….



==================================
*I drafted this post before raya..but I never post it. If this is what ENTERTAINMENT all about, I don’t mind being the weirdest person on planet to feel that grumblings about a religious practice is entertaining at all.Just me 2 cents.

1 comment:

Nadia said...

i wasnt around for that n obviously dint know what was going on but when i mentioned entertainment, i meant what happened with tony eusoff friday morning. not the whole fasting thing. oh well, i spos sm ppl js hving a different view of things. it wasnt a joke, it wasnt a lame ass prank. it was an experiment to prove that malaysians r gullible.